A P6 code on a mini split is an Inverter Module (IPM) Protection Error.
When the voltage signal Inverter Module (IPM) Protection sends the compressor drive chip is abnormal the display LED will show P6.
The AC will turn off.
Possible Causes of P6 Mini Split Error Code
- Wiring Problem
- Faulty IPM Board
- Faulty Outdoor Fan Assembly
- Compressor Malfunction
- Faulty Outdoor PCB Board
A P6 may be caused by wiring mistake, faulty IPM board, faulty outdoor fan, assembly compressor malfunction, and faulty outdoor PCB.
How To Fix or Clear an P6 Mini Split Error Code
- Power off the unit and turn off the breaker or disconnect.
- Wait 2-3 minutes and power the unit back on.
Troubleshooting a P6 Mini Split Error Code
- Check the power supply voltages
- Check voltage at outside terminals
- Check wiring
- Check outside fan and ventilation
- Check the IPM Board
- Check outdoor Main PCB
- Check Compressor
Video walk-through of troubleshooting.