If your furnace needs a new control board the average cost for a HVAC technician to install it is $400-$600 dollars.
If you are a home DIY type of person furnace control boards can be bought online for $50-$250 dollars depending on the furnace.
Doing it yourself is very tempting so let’s look at a few things needed to do it.
First be sure the board is bad. This often requires a HVAC tech to look at the furnace since there are so many variables.
The control board should have a LED that flashes error codes. The codes often are listed on the panel door or somewhere in the unit.
If you have already gotten this diagnosis from a HVAC company more than likely that is the problem.
Buying the correct board online is the next step.
I personally usually use Amazon but this is simply a personal choice as they have a large selection eBay also has a good selection.
If you order a board be sure to match the part number from the old board or the name and model of the furnace.
Example Furnace Control Board On Amazon.
ICM Controls ICM2801 Furnace Control Replacement for York/Evcon 7990-319P Control Boards
Steps To Replacing Furnace Control Board
Every furnace will be slightly different and the manufacture directions should always be followed.
- Unplug the furnace.
- Take picture with your phone of the wiring and possibly a video. Simply be sure you have a reference to fall back to for what wires went were.
- Before handling the new board ground your hand on a metal surface since static electricity can damage control boards.
- Remove the screws holding it in place. Try to leave the wires attached if possible, if this is not possible than transfer the wires one at a time to the new board.
- Insert the new board and screw it into place.
- Attach the wires to their correct location.
- Verify the wiring is correct from the picture that was taken.
- Plug the furnace back in and test it.
The cost fo a HVAC tech to replace a furnace control board can be high but is necessary if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself.
It does not take a lot of skill to replace a furnace control board but if you do be sure to watch a few videos like those listed below.
Also be sure to get the correct replacement board using the part number.