Supporting a window air conditioning unit is always a good idea to prevent it from falling, and protect the window sill itself.
There are several types of brackets available to hold a window A/C unit in place.
The AC Safe window brackets are a popular style bracket and the one we use below to hold a unit.
Brackets are bought by how much the air conditioner weighs with up-to 160 pound version.
160 Pound Version on Amazon
A/C Safe AC-160 Universal Heavy Duty Window Air Conditioner Support
Installing a window A/C bracket fall in the DIY category but as always call a professional if in doubt.
How To Install a Window Air Conditioner Support Bracket
- Find the center of the window sill and mark it.
- Small blocks come with the unit that need to be screwed into the window sill.
- One block will be angled so the bracket can be leveled.
- After the blocks are in place screw in the top bracket bar.
- Next mount the bottom bar which has holes for a bolt to slide through.
- Screw in the bottom bar screws and slide the bolt in the best spot the unit will be level at.
- After the bracket is installed place the A/C unit on it.
Installing a bracket to hold a window air conditioner in place is not only a good safety measure from falling but also can help protect the window sill from damage.
It can also help stop vibrations which can quiet a window unit from making more noise than it should.
Leveling the unit is often the best method, but some do lean a unit away from a home to keep condensation and rain draining away from the room.
Since there are many different style of windows sometimes modification need to be done depending how it was built.
While installing a support is a DIY job call a knowledgeable friend or a professional if in doubt about doing it yourself.